Chocolate Mousse Cake

To anyone out there who may read this blog, it's been a while, hasn't it?
I'd like to offer a valid excuse, but I really don't have one. But I do have something that I think might make up for my lack of posting. 




It's a cake. One that's made of chocolate mousse. Yeah.

My sister, Joanie, and I were biking through Mount Pleasant, South Carolina about a month ago, and we happened upon this cute little bakery called Kudzu. Now Joanie also has allergies to gluten and dairy, so she was looking around for something that might suit her. Then she saw it. A gorgeous, moist, rich-looking Chocolate Mousse Cake. We were shocked when the baker told us it had NO dairy or gluten in it! 

So Joanie bought it, and of course I pursuaded her to let me have a bite (or three). Let me tell you, we were not dissappointed. It tasted just the way it looked. Rich, dense, moist… 

I swore that when we got home I would find the recipe and make it for my birthday cake.

Well, here it is. 

Now I know I told you these recipes were going to be sugar free. I am aware that this one is not. But it was for my birthday, so you gotta cut me some slack. I'm sure there are ways to use sugar substitutes, but I didn't experiment with any. But for those with dairy and/or gluten issues, you are good to go! (I promise those sugar-free recipes are coming soon.)

Enjoy this treat!!







Chocolate Mousse Cake
(serves 8)

Ingredients:
6 eggs, separated
2/3 cup sugar
6 oz. bittersweet chocolate chips
3 Tablespoons strong, brewed coffee 
1 Tablespoon of brandy
Cocoa powder for garnish


Directions:

Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Butter a 9-inch spring for pan (or lightly spray with oil).
Use a double boiler to melt the chocolate with the coffee. Stir occasionally.
While the chocolate is melting, beat egg whites in a medium-large bowl until they form stiff peaks. Set aside. 
Next, beat the egg yolk and sugar until light and fluffy.
When the chocolate is melted, remove from heat and stir in the brandy.
On low speed, beat the chocolate mixture into the sugar and egg mixture until thoroughly combined. 
Fold in the egg whites gently, making sure they are fully incorporated. 
At this point, I let the batter sit in the refrigerator to firm up a little. After about 30 minutes, pour 2/3 of the batter into the spring form pan. Keep the rest of the batter in the refrigerator. 
Bake for about 20 minutes. Turn off the oven and leave the cake inside for about 5 more minutes. 
Next, transfer the cake to a cooling rack, keeping it in the pan to cool for about 1 hour. This allows the center of the cake to settle and the edges to crack, forming a slightly higher rim. 
After it has cooled, loosen the cake by running a sharp knife along the inside of the pan. Remove the sides of the spring form pan. 
Spread the remaining chilled batter evenly over the cake. Let the cake chill for about an hour in the refrigerator before serving. 
When you're ready to serve, run a sharp knife along the bottom of the cake pan to loosen it. Then, carefully slide the cake onto a platter. Garnish by sifting cocoa powder over the top of the cake. I like it to be a nice, thick layer of cocoa powder. 
Optional garnish: Whipped cream, berries, and chocolate curls. 

Comments

Post a Comment

Popular Posts