Garlicky Broccoli

Broccoli. 

I could eat it for breakfast, lunch and dinner. 


I grew up disliking most vegetables (sadly potatoes don't count as veggies). Brussel sprouts, gag. Green beans, gross. Asparagus, you couldn't even bribe me with hollandaise sauce. But broccoli was something I was always happy to eat. 



Thankfully my taste buds have matured a bit  a lot, and I'm much more adventurous with my veggies. (I still have a hard time with the asparagus, despite my desire to like them). 

What I've found with vegetables is that it's all in the preparation. I've been forced to try foods that I thought I hated, but if it's cooked the right way, anything can be delicious. 



While this broccoli dish is simple, it's totally fool proof. It works great as a side dish, although I admit sometimes I'll eat just a big bowl of it for lunch. It's that good. After one bite, you want to eat all of it. 

If you have leftovers (doubtful), it works great cold as a flavorful addition to a tossed salad. 



Ingredients: 

1 head of broccoli
5 cloves garlic, minced
3-4 Tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
salt and pepper to taste
3 Tablespoons freshly squeezed lemon juice
zest of one lemon



Directions:

Preheat oven to 400 degrees fahrenheit. Meanwhile, chop broccoli into thin strips and place in a large bowl. Add minced garlic, olive oil, and salt and pepper, and toss until broccoli is coated. Lay broccoli out on a cookie sheet in a thin layer. Roast in oven for 15 to 20 minutes, or until slightly brown and crispy. When the broccoli is done, place in a serving bowl or tray and toss with lemon juice and zest. 




Comments

Popular Posts