Lemon Roasted Chicken

Do you like Roasted Chicken?

I don't. I'm not really into most dishes involving poultry, actually. Sure, there are a few, like Chicken Tandoori, a flavor-packed, spicy Indian dish (which I will definitely put on here someday). Then there's chicken tarragon-such a rich, creamy dish. Or barbecue chicken, but who doesn't like that, right? 

But mostly I think chicken dishes tend to be pretty bland. Maybe I just need to experiment more…

Anyway. I don't really go for chicken. But THIS chicken recipe, THIS I like. It's stuffed with lemon, onions and garlic, which permeates from the inside into the chicken meat. It's coated in delicious herbs too. When I made this, everyone in my family couldn't stop talking about how good it was. (And THEY like other chicken dishes).



Do yourself a favor and make this. Not only is it delicious, it's incredibly easy. 


Ingredients:

1 4 or 5 pound chicken (whole)
salt, to taste
ground pepper, to taste
Oregano, to taste
Thyme, to taste
Garlic powder, to taste
1/4 to 1/2 yellow onion (depending on how much you can fit inside the cavity)
1 lemon
10 cloves garlic
Bunch of fresh parsley



Directions:

Clean chicken and pat dry with paper towels. Use half of the lemon to squeeze juice on the outside of the chicken. Squeeze the other half inside the cavity. Pat all of the herbs and seasonings over the whole bird. Stuff the cavity with the onion, whole garlic cloves, used lemons, and the parsley. 



Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Put chicken on a roasting tray that has been lined with tin foil. Roast for 1 1/2 to 2 hours. 



Remove from oven and let rest for about 15 minutes before carving it. 
Mashed potatoes and a yummy salad go great with this dish.

P.S. As you can see, I actually doubled the above recipe and made two chickens- this easily served 6 people with enough leftover for about one more family meal. 

Comments

Popular Posts