Easy Greek Frittata

Hello and Happy New Year everyone!

I hope your transition into 2015 has been delightful and full of celebrating in anticipation of what this coming year has in store. I rung in the new year with some of the most wonderful people that I know, playing taboo, watching What If, and of course eating some delectable food.  


I've been relishing all the free time I've had to pursue more creative activities while on break. I'm going back to school tomorrow, but with the time I've had I was able to whip up this easy and delicious Greek Frittata (with my sister's help) and a gluten free onion tart (coming soon).

On that note, I have some exciting news to share! My sister (Joanie) and I have just launched a Youtube channel called The Birds of Passage. So far we have a few videos up, including my citrus kale smoothie recipe and video where Joanie talks about a few of the musicians we've been enjoying lately. We're hoping to continue to upload recipe videos, share our favorite musical artists, and film any other adventures we happen to be a part of. Go check them out if you feel so inclined! We are also really new at the Youtube thing so we'd appreciate any kind of constructive feedback!

Now that you know about that, let's move on to the good stuff!


This recipe was inspired by Guy of Bondi Harvest. You should check him out on Youtube!


Ingredients:

1/2 cup fresh spinach
1/2 cup fresh arugula
3/4 cup cherry tomatoes
1/4 cup kalamata olives
5 eggs
about 3 fresh sage leaves
about 1/4 cup of goat cheese or to taste (I probably used a bit more)
salt
pepper
1 T of coconut oil for the pan


Directions:

Chop the spinach, arugula, tomatoes and olives and set aside in a medium sized bowl. Grind the sage and 1-2 tsp of salt together in a mortar and pestle. (Alternatively, you could simply crush the sage with your hands and sprinkle it over the eggs, but I thought it added a nice touch to grind them together.) Add half of the salt mixture to the chopped vegetables and toss lightly. Crack the eggs and whisk them with the other half of the mixture in a medium bowl. 

Heat a medium cast iron skillet on medium low while the coconut oil melts in the pan. Pour the eggs in and keep an eye on the pan's temperature. Let the eggs cook in the pan for about 30 seconds until the base is cooked. At this point you may want to turn the temperature down to low. Place the chopped greens and vegetables onto the eggs and crumble the goat cheese on top. 

Let the frittata continue to cook for another 5 to 10 minutes, until the eggs are thoroughly cooked and firm.



And there you are! This is such a nice breakfast for the winter time when you want something a little sturdier than cereal or fruit to start off your day. 

Enjoy!






Comments

Popular Posts